Caregiver Stress

Description of forum: Do you live with or help take care of someone with NMO? If so, this forum is for you! Come in and communicate with other caregivers.
LisaNMOadvocate
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Caregiver Stress

Post by LisaNMOadvocate » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Physical Signs of Caregiver Stress:
" If I could just get some good sleep, maybe I wouldn't feel so tired all the time and this headache would go away. "
When you're a caregiver it's easy to forget about your own needs. After all, you're a caregiver not a me-giver. Right? Well, yes and no. As difficult as it might seem, you need to pay attention to yourself too. Why? One study done by Elissa Epel from the University of California found that family caregivers experiencing extreme stress have been shown to age prematurely. This level of stress can take as much as 10 years off a caregiver's life.
So how do you know if caregiver stress is affecting you? Look for these common physical signs of caregiver stress:
Disturbed Sleep
Back, shoulder or neck pain, muscle tension
Headaches
Stomach/digestive problems (upset or acid stomach, cramps, heartburn, gas, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, diarrhea)
Weight fluctuation (gain or loss)
Loss of hair
Fatigue
High blood pressure, irregular heart beat, palpitations
Chest pain
Perspiration
Skin disorders (hives, eczema, psoriasis, tics, itching)
Periodontal disease, jaw pain
Reproductive problems/infertility
Weakened immune system suppression: more colds, flu, infections
Sexual dysfunction/lack of libido
If you are experiencing some of the signs listed above, consider talking with a healthcare professional that can help you to evaluate your situation. You are not alone. Getting support will help reduce caregiver stress, as well as reduce the associated risks of ongoing stress.

SOURCE: www.caregiverstress.com
Lisa McDaniel
Mom to SuperHero ^Collin^ Diagnosed with NMO at age 5

Consulting Advocate for The Guthy Jackson Charitable Foundation
https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/

MichaelCog

Caregiver Stress

Post by MichaelCog » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:26 am

I have delt w/ cns pain for so long. I am not the same person and I know it. She is not my "caregiver" she is my wife. The role of CG only applies to our responability.

Return to “Forum: Caregivers”